[Xmca-l] Re: Origins of Collective Decision Making

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Tue Nov 21 14:14:47 PST 2017

This is great news, Andy, thanks for sharing. Helena's comments are really encouraging!
Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Helena Worthen <helenaworthen@gmail.com>
Sent: 21 November 2017 18:21
To: ablunden@mira.net; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Origins of Collective Decision Making

I highly recommend Andy's book, not just becuase of the unique history that he tells, nor because of the way he traces the history of collective decision making backwards through plausibly linked organizational traditions, but because collective decision-making is a fundmanetal topic for a class if you are teaching any form of leadership or decision-making. We used it as the basis for such a class for undergraduates in Viet Nam who were studying union leadership - in a society where bottom-up leadership, whether in political activity or at the workplace, is a “politically sensitive” topic. Combined with a couple of group exercises, it was so successful that we were actually surprised.

Helena Worthen
helenaworthen@gmail.com
Berkeley, CA 94707 510-828-2745
Blog US/ Viet Nam: