[Xmca-l] Re: Development of adults

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 16 08:30:14 PST 2017

The first and second editions of our textbook had a chapter on aging beyond
youth, Ulvi. It made the book too long for US quarter systems in
universities and
was cut as a result. The chapter begins with a thought from Milan Kundera
that resonated with me when it was written 30 years ago and rings true to
me approaching 80:

“We are born one time only, we can never start a new life equipped with the
experience we've gained from the previous one. We leave childhood without
knowing what youth is, we marry without knowing what it is to be married,
and even when we enter old age, we don't know what it is we're heading for:
the old are innocent children innocent of their old age. In that sense,
man's world is the planet of inexperience”- Milan Kundera, *The art of the
novel.*

I'll leave the question of whether this thought implies that development is
a life long

process or not to the experts.

mike

PS- You might find the work of Paul Baltes and his students interesting. He
was, in his way, a cultural-historical psychologist. I wonder, who is doing
work on lifespan

psychology in Russia these days?