[Xmca-l] Re: Development of adults

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Thu Nov 16 05:42:46 PST 2017

Andy, would that view imply that adult development is grounded on development of/in the disciplines (or whatever one may mean by 'roles provided by the culture'), while childhood development is not? Or, what is that other "developmental pathway" in childhood that is not "progression through the various roles provided by the culture"?

Thanks,
Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Sent: 16 November 2017 14:29
To: xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Development of adults

Ulvi, this is a difficult question, once a person has
reached adulthood, there is no "developmental pathway" other
than progression through the various roles provided by the
culture in which they live, only a few of which have a
"developmental" connotation. We don't have "Elders" nowadays.

Books on "moral development" may be of some use. Leontyev's
"Activity, Consciousness and Personality" has some value as
well as some limitations. Of course, I will recommend
Vasilyuk's book. Other than that you have to read about
development in specific lines - political, professional, or
whatever, and read as many biographies and autobiographies
as you can.

:) Maybe I'm missing something. But I don't think there's a
simple answer here.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm