[Xmca-l] Re: Best possible theoretical approach on learning from life experiences

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 15:49:54 PDT 2017

I take it that we are using "perezhivanie" to mean something like the
reconstruction and reliving of an experience through word meanings. So what
we are proposing is not simply a kind of account of how Hikmet's
experiences (e.g. his birth in a noble Ottoman family, his adherence to
communism, his exile in the Soviet Union, etc.) added up to make him an
artist but more the reverse, an analysis of the texts that he wrote which
would reveal them to be "overlivings" of a historically specific life.

That's why Martin recommends Sartre. Sartre starts with Flaubert's texts
(not just Bovary, but also A Sentimental Education and even the viciously
racist and reactionary Salammbo). He uses these texts to locate Flaubert on
a line of development that goes from Balzac to Zola. But it's a linguistic
line of development, one that shows Balzac as fully engaged as an business
entrepreneur rather than simply an artist and, paradoxically, Zola as a
dispassionate and unengaged observer, who only takes up the case of Dreyfus
as a hobby in his retirement, when his literature has dried up.

This would be a big project but it would give you a lot of data. Ulvi would
have to show how Hikmet's whole oeuvre related to the whole of Turkish
literature: Turkish verbal artists before his time (the Ottoman poets) and
also how he relates to the realist, biographical literature that came out
after him (e.g. "Mehmet my hawk" and the popular literature, but also the
more intellectualistic Turkish writing like "My name is red".

You might start with something smaller. For example, I have always wondered:

a) How does "Pourquoi Benerdji c'est suicide?" (I don't know the title in
Turkish) relate to Hikmet's own experiences of internecine struggles in the
Turkish Communist Party?

b) How does his innovations in poetic meter (not to mention rhyme!) relate,
on the one hand to his rejection of the court poetry of his time and on the
other to his own interest in the dialogue around him?

It might seem like a) is easier than b), because, as Vygotsky points out,
"perezhivanie" always has two poles: there is the pole of experience and
there is the pole of the "I" experiencing it. Because the latter is
protected by "privileged access", at least insofar as bodily sensations are
concerned, the former seems more sharable and hence more recoverable. I
think that misses Sartre's point, which is not about how the content of the
artist's life is recoverable from the content of the artwork but rather how
the form of the artwork is recoverable from its content and vice versa.

Maybe most of us tend to a processing of the slings and arrows of
outrageous fortune that is relatively unmediated by form, even, and even
especially, in our own lives. Apparently Flaubert never actually said
"Bovary c'est moi!" (Anyway, I had always assumed he was referring to
Charles, and not to Emma.) But the first English translation of Madame
Bovary was  done by a young woman who also committed suicide by poisoning
herself after a long and disappointing extra-marital affair. Her name was
Eleanor, and she too was a working class militant and a lifelong communist.
She was also the youngest daughter of Karl Marx.

David Kellogg