[Xmca-l] Re: RES: Re: Child Development: Understanding a Cultural Perpsective

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri May 19 16:07:10 PDT 2017

Alfredo:

Just two quick points, and then I shall get back to Vygotsky--we are having
our weekly on-line seminar today here and in Seoul, and it's all about the
Pedology of the Adolescent and "The Negative Phase of the Transitional Age".

First--I don't think pre-life or any of the terms I offered are "adequate
labels" for the neoformations. In fact, "neoformation" is not an adequate
label either (Vygotsky takes it from geology!) In Vygotsky, the label is
just a place holder, it's a kind of mnemonic, a way of remembering
something that hasn't actually even been really said yet. "The word is only
ready when the concept is," remember?

Second--and relatedly--I don't think Vygotsky would agree that concept
formation is the end of child development. Concept formation takes place in
adolescence. But child development ends at eighteen, and there's a whole
crisis at seventeen, to do with school leaving: the child is now
intellectually independent, but entering a world where a good deal of that
critical thinking that went into concept formation has to be utterly
forgotten. Maybe that's the natural state of adult human beings--not a
stable period, but a crisis, in which we are socio-economically
independent, but ruthlessly exploited and brutally oppressed.

But, as Vygotsky says, that is another form of development, not child
development, and it obeys other laws. Adults are not senile children; they
too have a future in mind.

--
David Kellogg
Macquarie University

"The Great Globe and All Who It Inherit:
Narrative and Dialogue in Story-telling with
Vygotsky, Halliday, and Shakespeare"

Free Chapters Downloadable at:

https://www.sensepublishers.com/media/2096-the-great-globe-and-all-who-it-inherit.pdf

Recent Article: Thinking of feeling: Hasan, Vygotsky, and Some Ruminations
on the Development of Narrative in Korean Children

Free E-print Downloadable at:

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/8Vaq4HpJMi55DzsAyFCf/full