[Xmca-l] Re: The Stuff of Words

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Fri May 5 20:37:19 PDT 2017

David, Greg,
In your reciprocal back and forth David offers an  expansion of the number of categories of  sign function beyond just three that are generated from three (ineffable) primitives. David offered examples such as symbol-indices (symbols that function as indexes)

However Greg’s focus upon the indexical function of the sign as  more rudimentary is not addressed.
Greg’s  question if the earliest wordings are indexical and symbolic wordings are derivative from the indexical?

Michael Silverstein  was offered as one version of this  focus upon the indexical as more rudimentary.
The Peircean/Vygotskian version as another model also  focused upon the indexical function developing prior to the symbolic and arbitrary function developing as  derivative.
In Greg’s wording:
The indexical function is the rudimentary form that then provides the groundwork for the development of the symbolic function..
This Peircean/Vygotskian approach

Has this inquiry on  the sequencing of the indexical and symbolic functions been answered? It seems a particulary relevant relation to explore.

The way we answer will have ramifications for the way we approach instructional matters

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: David Kellogg
Sent: May 5, 2017 3:04 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: The Stuff of Words

Greg:

(As usual, I don't see the problem. I usually don't see these problems
until the tide is well and truly over my head.)

Meaning is simply another word for organization. Organization is always
present and never separable from matter: it's a property of matter, the way
that the internet is a property of a computer. Sometimes this organization
is brought about without any human intervention (if you are religious, you
will say that it brought about divinely, and if you are Spinozan, by
nature: it amounts to the same thing, because "Deus Sive Natura").
Sometimes it is brought about by human ingenuity (but of course if you are
religious you will say that it is the divine in humans at work, and if you
are Spinozan you will say that humans are simply that part of nature which
has become conscious of itself: once again, Ii think it amounts to the same
thing). So of course there are not two kinds of substance, res cogitans vs
res extensa, only one substance and different ways of organizing it (which
in the end amount to the same thing).

You say that discourse particles like "Guess what?" and "so there" and
"because" and "irregardless" and "what you say to the contrary
notwithstanding" are "indexical". I agree, insofar as they depend on their
relationship to the context of situation for their meaning. You say that a
Southern drawl is indexical, and that the relationship of jazz or blues or
hiphop to blackness is indexical. I agree, insofar as they satisfy the
condition I just mentioned. But "because" is also a symbol, and a
Southerner still sounds like a Southerner when he/she moves to New York
City (and in fact you can argue they sound more so). In Africa, jazz and
blues and hiphop in Africa are related to Americanness and not to
blackness.

So your division of signs into just three categories is too simple, Greg.
In fact, if you really read your Peirce, you will discover that there are
tens of thousands of categories, but they are generated from three
ineffable primitives ("firstness", "secondness", and "thirdness"). So for
example all words are symbols insofar as you have to know English in order
to understand "Guess what?" or "because". But some words are
symbol-indices, symbols that function as indexes, because they depend
on the context of situation for their meaning. Without the symbolic
gateway, they cannot function as indices. My wife, for example, cannot tell
a Southerner from a more general American accent, and I myself still have
trouble figuring out who is an Australian and who is an FOB bloody pom.
Similarly, my wife doesn't see the blackness in hiphop--it sounds like
K-pop to her.

I don't actually think that any signs are associative or "prehensive"; I
think that they are all different ways of looking or apprehending. So for
example you can apprehend a wording as a symbol: a way of organizing sound
stuff so that it "stands for" a way of organizing other stuff (sometimes
lunchboxes and backpacks, actual categories of objects and sometimes the
abstract models-in-the-making that Andy calls "projects"). You can also
look at wording as index: not as something that is "associated" to the lips
and tongue by juxtaposition or proximity or even continguity but rather
something that has a necessary relation to the vocal tract (which is itself
not a physiological organ, but something brought about by human
organization). But when I look at sound waves on my Praat spectrograph and
think of the shelving sea, what I am trying to get at is the sound stuff,
the noise, the firstness of the stuff of words. I'm not Cezanne: I don't
think there is any way of doing this with my eyes or ears alone: I think it
requires a very complex combination of tools and signs to get down to
firstness. But as Spinoza would have said if he had breakfast with
Bacon, the head and the hand are not much by themselves, but nobody
has ever really shown the limits of what they can do when they put each
other in order and start to organize the world around them.

(And that is about as much philosophy as you are going to get out of me,
I'm afraid. The tide is galloping in....)

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

PS: What I am absolutely certain of is this: mediating activity is not
absent in sign use, pace Alfredo or Wolff-Michael, but it is very different
from mediating activity in tool use, for the same reason that painting is
different from wording: in painting you CAN leave out the human (if you are
doing a dead seal for example, or if you are Rothko or Jackson Pollack--but
keep in mind that the former committed suicide and the latter murdered two
innocent young women). But in wording you never ever can. Wording can feel
unmediated--in fact it has to feel unmediated or it doesn't work very
well--but in reality it's even more mediated than ever.

dk