[Xmca-l] Re: ZPD and DST!

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Fri Mar 31 12:05:22 PDT 2017

Thanks Andy.

Concerning 1, I am afraid that 'failing to enquire into mediation' is what you find in most instances of the use of the term mediate and its different forms in the current empirical literature. But I'd be very interested in reading some empirical work that does indeed use the term or that approaches inquiry in the methodological sense that you refer to.

Concerning 2, Huw does write a bit about that in the text he just shared.

Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Sent: 31 March 2017 12:52
To: xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: ZPD and DST!

My 2 cents ...

1. Both Hegel and C. S. Peirce promoted mediation not only
as essentially ubiquitous, but as *generative*, in the sense
that since every relation is mediated, every new relation
generates a new (mediating) relation. It is a method of
enquiry which is forever uncovering new relations. I would
call this the methodological aspect of mediation. To fail to
enquire into mediation is effectively to close off enquiry
and settle for some kind of dichotomy or taxonomy.

2. Vygotsky's *artefact mediation*, is a distinctive type of
mediation, to which other approaches to mind are largely
blind. Artefact mediation is not the answer to every problem
of psychology. And it wasn't for Vygotsky either.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy