[Xmca-l] Re: ZPD and DST!

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 06:51:01 PDT 2017

Those interested in mediation, might want to read Jean-Luc Nancy (in *Being
Singular Plural*) and his extended meditation on mediation. I am pasting a
couple of paragraphs. I can already see Larry mediate on this . . . Michael

Jean-Luc Nancy, Being Singular Plural, p. 94:
        "Self" is not the relation of a "me" to "itself."8 1 "Self" is more
originary than "me" and "you." "Self" is primarily nothing other
than the "as such" of Being in general. Being is only its own "as Being."
The "as" does not happen to Being; it does not add itself to
Being; it does not intensify Being: it is Being, constitutively. Therefore,
Being is directly and immediately mediated *by itself*; it is itself
mediation; it is mediation without any instrument, and it is
nondialectic: dia-lectic without dialectic. It is negativity without
use, the *nothing* of the with and the *nothing* as the with. The with
as with is nothing but the exposition of Being-as-such, each time
singularly such and, therefore, always plurally such.
          Prior to "me" and "you," the "self" is like a "we" that is
neither a
collective subject nor "intersubjectivity," but rather the immediate
mediation of Being in "(it)self," the plural fold of the origin.
         (Is mediation itself the "with"? Certainly, it is. The "with" is
the
permutation of what remains in its place, each one and each time.
The "with" is the permutation without an Other. An Other is always
the Mediator; its prototype is Christ. Here, on the contrary, it
is a matter of mediation without a mediator, that is, without the
"power of the negative" and its remarkable power to retain within
itself its own contradiction, which always defines and fills in
[plombe] the subject. Mediation without a mediator mediates nothing:
it is the mid-point [mi-lieu], the place of sharing and crossing
through [passage];

Wolff-Michael Roth, Lansdowne Professor
Applied Cognitive Science
MacLaurin Building A567
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, V8P 5C2
http://web.uvic.ca/~mroth <http://education2.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/>

New book: *The Mathematics of Mathematics
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/new-directions-in-mathematics-and-science-education/the-mathematics-of-mathematics/>*