[Xmca-l] Re: Jang's SL Article Discussion

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 14:26:42 PDT 2017

(It was a good article, Eun-young, and a great choice, Alfredo; but xmca's
attention is elsewhere right now. This has happened so often in our
Vygotsky group meetings in Seoul that we have a hyperbolic way of referring
to the "rump" discussions that result: "Ekla Chalo Re".)

In the "perezhivanie" discussion, Andy worried a little that when people
are too polite, differences don't get clarified. I think that's one worry,
but it's a rather predictable worry for those of us who just like a good
knock-down fight. The other worry is that outsiders look on, can't really
figure out what all the fuss is about, and don't want to get into the
scrum.

So I applaud Alfredo's polite focus on what we have in common; it's not
really in my nature (I am more like Andy that way) but it seems right here.
Besides, I really DO agree (emphatically--I was going to say violently!)
with what Alfredo says about the fallacious formulation "language as tool".
Yes, I know that there are passages--especially in the early,
"instrumental" Vygotsky--where he does speak of language as a psychological
tool. But part of development is turning language back on itself, and when
Vygotsky does this at the end of Chapter Two of HDHMF, he emphasizes a
"logical" link (both tools and language are mediating activities), a real
difference (one is directed to "turning the tables" on the environment, and
the other actually helps you "turn the tables" on your damn self), and
tells us to  work out the concrete differences genetically, historically,
practically.

But I have three possible points of (polite!) disagreement with what
Alfredo says next. Here they are:

a) I think that prescriptivism is a very important part of being a teacher.
It's not just because you care about what happens to the learner next. It's
because you have to be honest with yourself about what you are doing and
why. Richard Shweder says there are only three possible positions about
human differences: one is that we are all really the same (universalism).
Another is that we are all different, but the differences don't matter
(relativism). And the third is that there are differences, and they matter.
Like it or not (and Shweder doesn't like it) being a developmentologist
means you believe in the last of these. As a teacher you may believe in all
three, but you know that the first two are about human potential, and the
last is very concrete, very real, and has consequences for--for
example--life expectancy, liberty and happiness that you cannot ignore.

b)  I think that the belief that the first language is learned in exactly
the same way as the second language is objectively a racist belief. I agree
with Alfredo that the intention is not racist: Stephen Krashen, who argued
this position more forcefully than anyone in the last half century or so,
has an exemplary record as a fighter for bilingual education and for the
rights of minority languages. But if first languages are learned the same
way as second languages, then the second language learners in your
classroom are by definition retards and you as a teacher have the right to
utterly ignore the way in which their first language mediates the second
language. Like all objectively racist beliefs, this one is theoretically,
empirically, and also ethically untenable. Refuting this kind of
thing--theoretically, empirically, and ethically--for the benefit of
teachers like the one in Eun-young's study--is the kind of thing that
intellectuals who are transformatively inclined need to be preoccupied
with, because it's the kind of action that only transformatively inclined
intellectuals can take.

c)  I don't think that intentions count for much in the end, and I think
that the Christian desire to move them to the forefront of every action and
make them the moral touchstone is exactly what leads to the kind of thing
we are seeing in the confirmation hearings of Jeff Sessions and now Neil
Gorsuch. This move gives racism too much plausible deniability; it's
incompatible with the concrete struggle against the effects of racism. The
teacher in Eun-young's study probably has good intentions (but, as I said
above, a totally inaccurate cognitive understanding of the dynamics of
learning a second language and even of her own classroom). The students
probably have bad intentions (but, actually, pretty accurate understandings
of learning and classroom dynamics): racism is, in lots of teenagers,
simply a pseudoconceptual understanding of nationhood and of citizenship,
and this pseudoconceptual understanding does exist in Korea, which not only
has a long and relatively "pure" racial history but also experienced, in
very recent times, not one but two racially marked foreign occupations. The
question is not how to act on intentions; the question is how to create a
true concept. Negating a pseudoconceptual understanding is, of course, a
kind of prescriptivism, but it's an essential one.

And that brings me back to that hyperbolic, bitter, inappropriate poem by
Rabindranath Tagore, which nevertheless manages to express pretty exactly
the way we sometimes feel as teachers. This is Tagore's own translation
from his original mother tongue, Bengali:

 If they answer not to your call, walk alone
If they are afraid and cower mutely facing the wall,O thou unlucky one,open
your mind and speak out alone.If they turn away, and desert you when
crossing the wilderness,O thou unlucky one,trample the thorns under thy
tread, and along the blood-lined track travel alone.If they shut doors and
do not hold up the light when the night is troubled with storm,O thou
unlucky one,with the thunder flame of pain ignite your own heart, and let
it burn alone.

Here's a musical version in the first language, by Shreya Ghosal (notice
the various Indian politicians in the audience, including some communalists
from the BJP!):

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPqdlR_X1Vk
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPqdlR_X1Vk>*

David Kellogg