[Xmca-l] Re: Jang's SL Article Discussion

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 14:28:26 PDT 2017

Dear Professor Jang:

Relax, you are among friends and co-thinkers. Well, a lot of friends, some
of whom are probably very close co-thinkers. It's a very big list, but I
doubt if anybody who read your article would accuse you of teacher bashing.
I also don't think anybody who read it would think that you used your
Korean-ness in any other way than a good researcher uses any resource that
affords empathy with the researched. And I DO think that you provided "a"
way of bridging a socioculural and a cognitivist approach to the second
language classroom. Perhaps even two ways.

It seems to me that one way is from the "contextualist" end; that is, to
redefine a context in abstract terms, including things like attitudes,
motivations, and teaching ideologies right in the context. I think this is
actually much more difficult than it looks: some people will consider this
behavioristic, because it assumes that attitudes, motivations and
ideologies can be treated as external to mind. I think it actually only
considers them as external to text. Other people will consider it upwardly
reductionistic, because it assumes that attitudes, motivations and
ideologies can be reduced to society and to culture and to context of
situation. I think that society and culture and context of situation must
always be considered as a complex whole, including cognition, but not
subsuming it.

It also seems to me that another is from the "organicist" end; that is, to
define attitudes, motivations, and ideologies as something in some way
independent of cognition (the "distributed cognition" people are good at
this). Again, this isn't so easy, particularly in an American context.
America is now going through a kind of crisis, because racism has
previously been defined in only one of two ways. Either racism is part of
cognition--in which case it really only exists in people who subscribe,
paradoxically, to "objective" scientific racism, to the belief that
non-whites are actually inferior. Or racism is part of culture--in which
case it really only exists in the debilitating effects it has on the
oppressed, and it doesn't really matter what it is that racists believe
(or, for that matter, what non-racists believe: Obama was just as guilty of
black unemployment as Bush).

What I suggest is, rather perversely, a third way. It's from the
"pedological, defectological" end. That is, attitudes, motivations and the
teaching ideologies which derive from them need to be understood not only
as part of the context but also as part of pedology, a whole science of the
child. Unfortunately, Vygotsky's writings on this are not available in
English, but they ARE available in good Korean:

http://www.aladin.co.kr/shop/common/wseriesitem.aspx?SRID=25565

Similarly, the ravages of racism (including the "damunhwa kyoyuk" developed
in Korea under Yi Myeongbak and Park Geunhye, which was concerned with
providing "equal opportunity" to the majority as well as to the minority)
need to be considered not simply as stigma on the dominant race or as
stigmata of the oppressed but more defectologically. "Defect" wasn't an
insult in the USSR: Vygotsky actually considers "yeongje kyoyuk" (that is,
"genius education"), education of the blind, education of the deaf,
so-called "learning disabilities" not as "disabilities" but as
defects--that is, normal disadvantages to be overcome in the same way as
any other obstacle in learning, through "circuitous and indirect", that is,
mediated, means of learning. We have evolved our means of education, as
Vygotsky says, to cater to the needs of the psychophysiological dominant
group, but the mark of higher forms of social progress is how it can
develop the niches within this and the needs of those who are not
psychophysiologically dominant.

(Do you know Professor Kim Jinseok? I worked at SNUE for over ten years
myself, and our Vygotsky group still meets there every Saturday to
translate the work of Vygotsky into Korean. If you are on campus on a
Saturday, we are usually in room 315, over "Dasomchae" near the front gate,
from noon until about four!)

David Kellogg
Macquarie University