[Xmca-l] Re: The Mathematics of Mathematics

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 12:29:02 PDT 2017

Mike, there are parts of the text in Vygotsky (Thinking and speech), which,
in the original (1934, also the 2005 compilation, the German version), have
quotation marks. In the English translation the quotation marks have
disappeared (as in the 1984 Russian version). Also disappeared has the
paraphrase of consciousness being cursed by matter, which is in the
original, but which has been purged from the later Russian and all English
translations.

Anton and someone else have published a piece with all the changes that
have been implemented with respect to the 1934 publication.

I am pasting here from the original. You see the quotation marks. The green
part is about the curse of matter on consciousness, which is missing in the
English versions. The quotations are from Marx and Engels, *The German
Ideology*, at least the German and Russian version. (Not all English
translations do justice to the reference publications by the Institute for
Marxism-Leninism, which was published in Moscow in German, 1932, and
Russian, 1933):

Если «язык так же древен, как сознание», если «язык и есть практическое,
существующее для других людей, а следовательно, и для меня самого, сознание»,
если «проклятие материи, проклятие движущихся слоев воздухазначально
тяготеет над чистым сознанием», то очевидно, что
Hope this helps.

Michael

Wolff-Michael Roth, Lansdowne Professor
Applied Cognitive Science
MacLaurin Building A567
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, V8P 5C2
http://web.uvic.ca/~mroth <http://education2.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/>

New book: *The Mathematics of Mathematics
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/new-directions-in-mathematics-and-science-education/the-mathematics-of-mathematics/>*