[Xmca-l] Re: The most, the best educated and the most dangerous

Edward Wall ewall@umich.edu
Mon Mar 6 09:16:58 PST 2017

Ulvi

     I have thought about your question and read what others have offered. Here are some thoughts

     In most societies a purpose of education is to inculcate societal norms and. hence, in is not surprising that some of the better exemplars are those who place themselves on the side of the dominant class. However, those that often rise those critical decision points you mention are not necessarily the best educated. They are, what one might term, well educated. That is, they go to the ‘right’ schools, know the ‘right’ [people, wear the ‘right’ clothes, eat the ‘right’ food. They often display, as Detienne and Vernant put it, "mental attitudes and intellectual behavior which combine flair, wisdom, forethought, subtlety of mind, deception, resourcefulness, vigilance, opportunism, various skills, and experience acquired over the years. That is, they display what the Greeks termed metis or cunning; Odysseys being the exemplar.

    Metis, I happen to think (from the viewpoint of a teacher), is a very interesting and troubling trait.

Ed