[Xmca-l] Re: xmca new discussion started

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Thu Jun 1 16:45:21 PDT 2017

Hi Alfredo,

In general I would respond that EM is the study of people acting and interacting, and to the extent to which development, of the various kinds that you name, is brought about in practice — which is entirely! — EM will offer a way to describe it and explain it.

Indeed, one of the classics of EM deals precisely with personal development: becoming a skilled jazz pianist:

Sudnow, D. (1974). Ways of the hand: The organization of improvised conduct. Harvard University Press.

I’ve published a couple of things where I’ve used Conversation Analysis, closely related to EM, to explore development. The first is a study of a consultation in which a Babalow seeks to guide the personal development of his client:

Packer, M. J., & Tibaduiza Sierra, S. (2012). A concrete psychological investigation of ifá divination. Revista Colombiana de Psicología, 21(2), 353-369.

The other is a study of classroom interaction, in which one can clearly see microgenesis:

Packer, M. J. (2011). Schooling: Domestication or ontological construction? In T. Koschmann (Ed.), Theories of learning and studies of instructional practice (pp. 167-188). New York: Springer.