[Xmca-l] Re: Отв: Re: Ilyenkov, Marx, & Spinoza

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu Jul 27 20:41:03 PDT 2017

Well it surprises me, David, that you support the idea of
thought as an attribute of God. We learn something new every
day. I am well aware that Spinoza still has many admirers
but you are the first one I have met who goes so far as to
see thought as an attribute of God, let alone combine this
with Vygotsky's cultural psychology!

I accept that my interpretation of Hegel's Geist as activity
is not universally shared, but most Hegelians who try to
move out of the closed circle of the hermeneutics of old
philosophical texts make just this interpretation; but it is
generally implicit rather than declared up front, and not
thought through.

But you misunderstand my interpretation: actions and
projects are units of activity. "Projects" is not another
name for "activity" and certainly not another name for Geist
(to make sense of anything I write it is important not to
conflate mass and count nouns). And although A N Leontyev
deserves some credit for the symmetries between his Activity
Theory and Hegel (so also does Engestrom), but I think it
more likely that the Leontyev-Hegel relation was mediated by
Vygotsky and Marx, and Leontyev introduced both novel
improvements and unfortunate misunderstandings in his
appropriation.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy