[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 21:53:01 PDT 2017

Andy
This insight that Hegel  anticipated  social processes through logical analysis while Marx focused on making intelligible  reconstructed phenomena on the basis of already observed social processes,  seems to be radically different starting places.
 Anticipation and reconstruction generating profound relational reflections.

>From these two differing starting places (two different historical presents)  your reflection that both share a deep affinity by arriving at the same realization:

(history is intelligible)

Opens up this approach to historicity for our learning community.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Andy Blunden
Sent: July 18, 2017 7:16 PM
To: David Kellogg; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

So far as I can see there are two references to the aphorism
in Marx/Engels. Firstly in the famous 1873 Afterword to
Capital by Marx and then echoed by Engels in his 1886
"Ludwig Feuerbach." As I said, in so far as a metaphor like
this can be right or wrong, I would say it is correct. My
problem is that in many many discussions I have had with
people identifying themselves as Marxists, this aphorism has
functioned as a *barrier *to understanding Hegel and his
relation to Marx, something I have had to fight my through
before being able to have a fruitful discussion about the
issue. Because people are generally locked in to a dichotomy
between concepts and the material world (notwithstanding
declarations to the contrary), the aphorism is interpreted
to mean that Hegel thought that thought determines being and
Marx thought that being determines thought, just as you
observe, David. Again, it is not that this aphorism is
wrong, and really thought determines being. Of course not.
The problem is, I think, that it pushes a natural scientific
point of view in which the social world goes about its
business according to Laws of History and ideas simply
reflect that process. A corollary of this is that people are
passive expressions of their social conditions and have no
responsibility for their thoughts. In the words of "Theses
on Feuerbach" - "The materialist doctrine that men are
products of circumstances and upbringing, and that,
therefore, changed men are products of changed circumstances
and changed upbringing, forgets that it is men who change
circumstances and that the educator must himself be
educated. Hence this doctrine is bound to divide society
into two parts, one of which is superior to society."

Altogether, I prefer to start an interpretation of Hegel
either with a blank sheet or from reading Hegel himself, not
hearsay.

Here are some things I could say about the Hegel-Marx
relation which may lend weight to the aphorism:

    * Hegel wrote at a time when there was no reason to
    believe (and no-one did believe) that the working class
    was an agent in history, capable of leading social
    reform. Indeed in early 19th century the working class
    did not exist as a class at all. Marx wrote in the wake
    of huge social movements of the working class which,
    during his youth, had overthrown the French government.
    He had every reason to believe that the working class
    would make history, not (as Hegel and Owen had thought)
    the educated elite.

    * Hegel wrote philosophy and worked in a university;
    Marx wrote in fairly accessible language on politics and
    social issues, intended for mostly self-educated workers.

    * Hegel believed that he could anticipate social
    processes by logical analysis; Marx understood that the
    logical critique could be reconstructed only on the
    basis of already-observed social processes, making what
    was already happening intelligible. But both end up at
    the same point, namely that history is intelligible.

But at a philosophical level, the two writers came to *very
similar conclusions*, not opposite conclusions. Politically,
they were as different as the philosophy professor and the
communist agitator. They lived in different times.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy