[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 06:41:18 PDT 2017

James,
This phrase (sign in the mind) reminds me of the concept (symbolic interactionism) and the history of that tradition  or discursive community who were  linking (symbolic) with (interactionism).
Not sure if this is off track or not

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Andy Blunden
Sent: July 15, 2017 5:30 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

James, I think you're using "material" in some specific
sense which is unknown to me. It seems to me to be something
to do with body language as opposed to speech, maybe
practical consciousness rather than discursive
consciousness. "Material" understood as meaning "made of
matter" would simply be the opposite of "in my imagination".
I find it difficult to get my head around the idea of a
"sign in the mind" and if "mind" was some place other than
the material world where a sign could be located. I'm sure
what you are talking about is perfectly good, but I can't
relate it to the absolutely basic ontological issue which
you raised out of my paper about action.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy