[Xmca-l] Re: Monozukuri -- another look at a key Japanese principle

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 06:22:01 PDT 2017

Rod, Mike,
Yes, the Japanese (sens) that each finds their OWN ways of doing,

But also notice how monozukuri de-emphasizes OWN as indicating personal identity within monozukuri. The mutuality of this concept is emphasized.

For a Japanese (reading) of finding one’s OWN way, is felt radically differently than our Western taken for granted normal reading of finding one’s OWN way.
Our Reading is more inclined towards an encapsulated sens of OWN.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Rod Parker-Rees
Sent: July 15, 2017 1:50 AM
To: Culture Activity eXtended Mind
Cc: Larry Purss
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Monozukuri -- another look at a key Japanese principle

Thanks for sharing this piece on monozukuri, Larry. When I read it I was reminded of what I understand of the Russian concept of obuchenie. I know many others in this group will have more detailed and situated understandings of obuchenie but what I associate with it is the idea that learning and teaching are richly contextualised social processes - teacher and learner learn each other and wider cultural expectations not separately or 'in addition to' the 'content' of what is being taught/learned but in an indivisible cultural whole.

The article about monozukuri offers a fascinating glimpse of the Japanese 'apprenticeship' model, suggesting that learners are expected to find their OWN ways of achieving what they see their master doing. I think this stands in strong contrast to 'teaching' approaches which are based on the idea that 'skills' or 'techniques' or 'ideas' can be 'worked out' or abstracted from the cultural situations in which they are employed, so they can be packaged and delivered in 'teacher proof' programmes.

I think our ways of making sense continue to be informed by, and grounded in, what we learn from making things. And especially making things together with other people.  I suspect that the idea of the 'craftsman' is rather solitary- someone who works alone to solve problems and make lovely things but, as I understand it, monozukuri points to a more connected, distributed understanding of how things (and sense) are made.

All the best,

Rod