[Xmca-l] Re: Inner thought in theater pieces

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 12 20:19:53 PDT 2017

Hi Ed-- How could you NOT feel something that was imagined? Imagine you won
the lottery? Imagine you come home tired tomorrow evening? Imagine what you
like, but imagine it without a feeling about it? sounds like a pathology (!)

I have discovered that  a movie of Finian's rainbow is pretty widely
accessible. you tube, amazon, elsewhere. If you read the entry in
wikipedia, or the info I discovered at the Harburg Foundation, you will be
able to discern the affinity between Harburg and xmca.  For example:

Feisty Irishman Finian McLonergan (Fred Astaire) and his faithful daughter,
Sharon (Petula Clark), bearing a pot of gold stolen from the leprechaun Og
(Tommy Steele), settle in the village of Rainbow Valley, Missitucky. Siding
with local sharecroppers like Woody Mahoney (Don Francks) against a blustering,
bigoted local politician (Keenan Wynn), the McLonergans get into a number
of fanciful scrapes while being pursued by the magical Og, who will become
mortal if he doesn't recover his gold.

Now I am off to watch the movie!  :-)

mike