[Xmca-l] Re: Inner thought in theater pieces

Peter Feigenbaum [Staff] pfeigenbaum@fordham.edu
Wed Jul 12 12:42:53 PDT 2017

Hi, Daniel.

Fernyhough's book doesn't delve into the intricacies of a musician's *inner
ear*,
but he does cover internal speech without sound, internal sound without
words,
the internal *felt presence* of a person who doesn't speak, and internal
voices
that are disembodied. From these and other examples he suggests that
hearing
voices is a much richer phenomenon than just auditory perception: it is the
surface
level of an inner experience that embraces the imagining of a *person*, who
has
an individual point of view and a characteristic voice. Only pieces of this
inner
person may come to be experienced consciously.

Regarding the deaf, Fernyhough explores inner signing and inner voices--
yes,
deaf people who hear voices internally but who have never had the experience
of hearing the voices of others! Many of the internal musical experiences
that
you mention have auditory parallels in the case studies he presents.

As a former musician myself (in my youth), I have always wondered about
those
musicians who claim to have perfect pitch. I don't possess that ability,
but I have
absolutely no need for a tuning device when I tune my guitar strings: my
inner
(and outer) ear is all I need.

Since you raised the issue of the pairings of words and music, I'd like to
take this
opportunity to share a favorite quote from Yip Harberg, classmate of Ira
Gershwin
and composer of the words and music for The Wizard of Oz, Finnian's Rainbow,
and the Depression-era song Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?  Harberg gave a
lot
of thought to the relation between music and words, noting that:

Music makes you feel a feeling;
Words make you think a thought;
Songs make you feel a thought.

The quote above came to mind as I was eavesdropping on an earlier
conversation
on this listserv (a month ago!) concerning Vygotsky's notion of the unity
of thinking
and emotions in the formation of the human personality. Personally, I have
trouble
conjuring up an image of *emotions*, but I have no difficulty experiencing
emotions
when they take a musical form. I am much more comfortable thinking about
feelings
than I am about feeling thoughts. Intellectualizing emotions is a cultural
experience
that many men excel at, I suspect.

My two cents.

Peter