[Xmca-l] a linguist and a child on D. Trump

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Sat Jul 8 02:40:54 PDT 2017

We've been perplexed (some may say horrified) by Trump's speech in this list before, as many others in the media have. A linguist in the Washington post (see link below) comments on this and notes how Trump's speech sounds like (American) everyday speech, like he 'could be a family member or a friend'. She also notes his use of hyperbolic verbal and gestural devices. ??I was watching the video and my two-years old daughter passed by and saw Trump talking. Pointing at him, my daughter said, 'enfadado' ('angry' in Spanish). Honestly, I am glad that not many of my family members or friends sound like that, even the American ones!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/this-linguist-studied-the-way-trump-speaks-for-two-years-heres-what-she-found/2017/07/07/12f310c6-627d-11e7-80a2-8c226031ac3f_video.html