[Xmca-l] Re: Taxis and Embedding in Conversation

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 13:53:17 PDT 2017

James,
This something more may also be concerned with what you refer to as
intellectual "virtures": In the first section of the article I am attaching
you outline what you are indicating by the term -virtues. On page 3 you
focus on the topic of "intellectual well-being" perceived as a "cultivation
of virtues and ideals"  through advanced learning.

You then mention we are living through the "diversity" of socially,
institutionally, mediated human development. What does this diversity call
on us to "do". Your answer is that human development INTENSIFIES our need
for such cultivation at both individual and collective "levels".

You reference this need as "omnipotent" when you say:
"The omnipotence of one's morality, freewill, and self-interest PERVADES
contingencies and uncertainties in human actions with *THE* world. I will
mention that Paul Ricouer refers not to *THE* world but rather to *A* world
-of-being].

You then go on to say that the above "factors" problematize the mastery of
cultural "systems" that *signify" human actions.
You then qualify this statement by adding,

"the enactment of one's understanding of THE world subsequently affects
what comes about."

Here I would replace *THE world* with *A world*
James, you mention your intent for publishing this essay is to move away
from an "instrumental' view" of higher education and cultivate a focus on
"intellectual well-being" through fostering  "virtues". You proceed to
follow your intent by "semiotising" students perceptions of learning
outcomes that implicate students engagement with learning and development.

James, you also question the relation to "dasein" and I will mention that
the word "mitsein" [being-WITH] is a better term for promoting intellectual
well-being. Less a protesting intent than da-sein [being-THAT] . Gadamer
points out that Heiddeger's focus on da-sein pervades his project and that
Gadamer intende to shift towards the centrality of mit-sein