[Xmca-l] Re: Retrotopia

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 15:14:36 PDT 2017

Thanks Mike for adding this.

 What seems relevant  is this notion of landmarks and what they generate.
Zygmunt comments on  landmarks that have the capacity to generate  imaginative scapes. Whether future or past oriented, what is generated are imaginal topos.

 A secondary question then occurs when we notice in which direction our imaginative scapes direct our action.

 Are we moving laterally or vertically?  Are we progressing or regressing?
Are we traversing  heights or depths?   When traversing imaginal places that become actual places through our practical actions do we  continually remain within imaginal places or do we leave the imaginal realm as we actualize and live within our shared worlds?

The assumption I am playing with is that  imaginal realms  are actualized through our shared mutual actions (sociality as practices).
As this occurs we are  creating human  (worlds)-of-being.
What Zygmunt is noticing in this book is that when we can no longer trust the dream of  progressing (futuricity)  we activate the imaginal through   regressive moves  in order to create retro imaginal places
What remains key is this imaginal aspect of sociality  for both Zygmunt and Paul.
Practical action as text analogue.

Therefore, imaginal places are not only  private realms occurring between our ears.  Imaginal places are places that call us into  sociality and  call us to action and call us to live  within shared (worlds).

Zygmunt’s profession was sociology which is usually assumed to be a social science.  Ricouer asks if the appropriate way to approach social sciences is through recognizing that they  share the attributes of  text-analogues.
Ricouer assumes a radical shift occurs when we move  from face to face dialogues  (situations)  towards  trans formations which   create shared (worlds) that we socially call into  existence.
Note that 5 centuries ago,  Thomas More when describing Utopia,   was  writing texts.
Today we have lost faith in progressing, and turn to  imaginal regressing.
There continues a progressing-regressing dance of unfolding that continues our imaginal ways.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone