[Xmca-l] Re: Taxis and Embedding in Conversation

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 12:13:12 PDT 2017

Alfredo,
The phrase describing what people here, hear ( also what people hear, here) as  polyindicality  (i.e. patterns of language & patterns of language-n-use)  as playing within a social-semiotic relationality.
Various intervals or gaps within notions and their diacritical marks.
For example David mentioning process-product may b clearer as process -> product.
I also notice the symbol :: Indicates analogue.
Now if relations can also be transversal we need to express a relation of  moving across or crossing over an intersection involving polyindicality.
The invented diacritical mark -:- may express both vertical and horizontal relational  actions but also express  transversal relations.
As an  example the notational pair  dialectical -:- dialogical or the pair (regression, progression) PLAY out as and  through (regression -:- progression) as a triad.
Alfredo, this may be our  human form of play focusing  our attention on  the inevitable  ‘gap’ or ‘interval’ between terms and their polyindicative sense and meaning

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Alfredo Jornet Gil
Sent: July 4, 2017 11:16 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Taxis and Embedding in Conversation

David, I never thought you were not doing justice to anyone's work, but I could appreciate that others did feel that way and tried to remediate it, something I praise them for. In any case, I thank both of you for bringing McCawley to bear, I did not know about his work before.

I thank you too for the clarifying example on semiogenesis, and yours and James notes that semiogenesis traverses across levels. After reading your examples, it helps me thinking of semogenesis in Batesonian terms, as emergent patterns of 'differences that make difference' across linguistic strata but also across levels of development. Reading Vygotsky's pedology in terms of semiogenesis makes sense too, specially if the inquiry is not limited to patterns within language but deals with patterns of language-in-use.

I read Halliday and find antecedents of the argument unfolding here in this thread in his notion of 'mode', which is one of three features of 'social situations' (field, tenor and mode). Mode concerns 'the division of labour between semiotic activities and social ones (ranging from semiotic activities as constitutive air the situation to semiotic activities as facilitating)' (Halliday & Matthiesen 2014, p. 33). I read you saying in previous posts something like this when you bring up the example of teachers teaching rules for long division, where semiotic aspects are not just ancillary to the activity. That semiogenetic issues 'as such' become the leading subject/object of activity at certain stages of (phylo, socio, and ontogenetic) development makes good sense too; it is only scary that a semiotic account may become very logocentric and intellectualising (this is scary specially when it comes from linguists, which perhaps are an extreme instance of the semiogenetic tendency). The example of the whales singing, and the playfulness that Larry finds in them for us brings with it an appeal to affective and aesthetic aspects. Re-reading the posts where you bring the example on the passionfruit conversation, I see now that you (along Halliday and Hasan) are talking about social cohesion as it connects to linguistic cohesion, and that you are connecting this to a genetic, developmental Vygotskian approach. Big challenge you've got there!

I found Larry's bringing Ricoeur on the text to bear relevant too, specially being someone so concerned as he is with turning dichotomies (text-reading; explanation-comprehension) into dialectic relations. I see people here is trying to build not a dichotomy but a social-semiotic dialectic.

You say that Vygotsky does not use sociogenetic or sociogenesis, but the term appears in volumes 5 and 6 of the English collected works. What is Vygotsky's writing then?

Alfredo