[Xmca-l] Re: Continue with Hegle, and the Social through Greg

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 17:13:53 PDT 2017

Larry:

I'm afraid I sometimes lose the practical thread in my own predilection for
decorating. I was trying to make the case that semiosis and sociality have
different genetic roots. This is really just a way of saying that speech
and (practical) thinking have different genetic roots.

So in Antarctica, whales socialize for a definite purpose, and that purpose
determines the size of the social group (around twelve whales). But when
they migrate past our shores, they are very far from that purpose. They are
not feeding, they are not mating, but they are communicating: this is where
we find "songs" as distinct from echo-locating clicks. It is also where we
find dyads and triads--apparently for engaging in dialogues and trialogues.
This is not simply sociality for the sake of reproducing the material
conditions of life; it is an exuberant semiosis for the sheer hell of it.
Admittedly, ALL sociality and ALL semiosis among humans is a mixture of the
transactional and the expressive, but the arc of most conversation, if not
of history itself, seems to bend inevitably from the former to the latter.

Heidegger's idea that there is an "ur-Life" which has to assent to every
instant of living seems to me precisely ass-backwards (as Vygotsky likes to
say). It is like the ridiculous notion that in order to create language
people called a kind of global congress in which the precise terms of the
language contract were hammered out, without, of course, using any language
at all.

Take (please!) the various accounts that we humans create of the end of the
world by flooding. They go all the way back to the Epic of Gilgamesh, where
the gods basically turned the taps on mankind because they were making too
much noise down there. Then, in Revelation, there is more emphasis on sea
monsters; by the time we get to the Middle Ages, the world is going to end
in water-born plagues. But it's only since 1945 that there has been an
emphasis on volitional apocalypse--that is, the flooding of the earth by
humans themselves (Kevin Costner and "Waterworld" and its various
derivatives).

It's possible, I suppose, to see this as a Hegelian philosophy of history.
You know, man unconscious of his ability to end the world as we know it,
first ascribing it to arbitrary whims of the gods, then to nature, then to
human diseases and sin and only in our own time a "true concept" of global
warming. But it is also possible to see the development of concept as the
outcome of human practices such as flood-based agriculture, living in
proximity to Nile crocodiles, the medieval scourges of the black death, and
the premeditated design and thoughtless use of nuclear weapons in World War
II. The latter possibility has the advantage of including more tangible
data if not always ocular proof.

Ruqaiya Hasan says:

"Design is not an expression of field alone (that is, it is not simply an
expression of "what is going on"--DK). It is associated with the social
process as a whole *i.e. as a contextual configuration of the values
pertaining to field, tenor ("who is taking part"--DK) and mode ("how is
language brought in?"--DK) and is independent of any one individual's
desires, intentions, and/or decisions, having been negotiated between at
least two interactants. These designs have come about because through the
long history of the communal living of life, in every culture there have
evolved recognizable ways of being, doing and saying that are communally
deemed relevant to those occasions where social subjects have co-acted. The
design of a social practice is nothing other than a near ritualization of
ways of doing something with others by using such semiotic systems as are
at the community's disposal: the more culturally significant a social
process, the more ritualized it gets. It is in this sense that specific
social processes have become the raison d'etre of specific designs."

--
David Kellogg
Macquarie University

"The Great Globe and All Who It Inherit:
Narrative and Dialogue in Story-telling with
Vygotsky, Halliday, and Shakespeare"

Free Chapters Downloadable at:

https://www.sensepublishers.com/media/2096-the-great-globe-and-all-who-it-inherit.pdf

Recent Article: Thinking of feeling: Hasan, Vygotsky, and Some Ruminations
on the Development of Narrative in Korean Children

Free E-print Downloadable at:

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/8Vaq4HpJMi55DzsAyFCf/full