[Xmca-l] Re: The Cambridge Atlantica site that Peg referred to

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Thu Jan 26 08:17:30 PST 2017

Hi Larry,

The interesting thing about this is that the person who really came up with the idea of big data, not in its present form but as a way to develop more precise cybernetic feedback loops, Norbert Wiener actually warns against this type of use of data in his book "The Human Use of Human Beings."  He found the use of machines and the data they generate as governance systems for advanced human behavior "terrifying."  I wonder if the social scientists running around today screaming about the efficacy of

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:02 AM
To: Peg Griffin <Peg.Griffin@att.net>; 'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity' <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: The Cambridge Atlantica site that Peg referred to

Peg, Mike,
Reading these two articles on BigData and remembering how funding will be given to academic research that slots into being verified (or negated) through BigData is profoundly disturbing and leaves me with a sense of inertia at the scope of the alienation involved in this manipulation.

Using Simmel’s back and forth notion of the relation of (distance and intimacy) and finding the proper ratio depending on the events  occuring then the proper relation between distance and intimacy will be shifting in scope in each historical era.
Will our response to the vast distance incarnated through BIgData require intimate responses as counterpoint??

If this is LIKE the 1930’s, do we have any answers from the past that give glimmers of a way forward that can be responsive at scale to the distancing of BigData?

Sent from my Windows 10 phone