[Xmca-l] Re: Trump's speech and Perezhivanie

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 11:51:35 PST 2017

Dear Alfredo:

Thanks for trying to make sense of that. Analyzing  a Trump speech has a
very strange effect on the analyst: incoherence seems somehow
perfectly cohesive until it doesn't (e.g. "we" seems somehow to include
"you", until it doesn't).

Here's what I was trying to say. "Perizhivanie" has to have an "external"
aspect we can study, as well as the other things that people have been
talking about which are rather hard to study. Of course, dividing any
complex, integral whole like "perizhivanie" into "external" and "internal"
is oxymoronic. But "analysis into units" is oxymoronic too, and an oxymoron
is not the same thing as a contradiction in terms. If we really believe
that "external" perizhivanie is indivisible from internal perizhivanie,
then studying the former, and above all studying how the former becomes the
latter, might tell us what we want to know about the latter. That is, after
all, Vygotsky's method in using "egocentric speech" to study inner speech.
"Perizhivanie" is not entirely reducible to the reality we construe for
ourselves by means of language, but the part we can study is. We cannot
know what is in Trump's heart; at this point, ordinary blood and muscle
seems the most likely hypothesis. But we don't need to; what people need to
know is right there in his words so long as we know how to winkle it out.

There's a problem, though; the same problem as trying to study
"perizhivanie" from a work of art like "Fate of a Man". Any "perizhivanie"
is meta-stable: that is, it remains what it is by changing in entirety. I
think that the meta-stability of perizhivanie is the single most difficult
feature we have to study, as well as the single most important one, the one
which makes it a workable unit of analysis for the personality: it is
meta-stability which allows Vygotsky to describe both the infant feeling
the drinking of milk as it happens and the adolescent trying to make sense
of an abusive mother as "perizhivanie", and it is inattention to the facts
of meta-stability that most dogged Vygotsky studies in our first century
(including, but not limited to, the identification of crisis-ridden
development with linear forms of learning). Both Trump's speech and "Fate
of  a Man" are artificially stabilized: they are not moments of
perizhivanie, but specimens of taxidermy.

One of Vygotsky's great insights in the pedological lectures is that
although children's bodies seem, from the outside, to merely grow like
flowering plants, their minds are really much more like caterpillars,
cocoons, and then butterflies:  they undergo metamorphosis. I have a modest
corpus of "weekend stories" from first, third and sixth grade Korean
children, and even though the topics are largely the same (as Vygotsky
says, the external environment does not change that much) the language is
utterly different: the conjunction which means "and then" in first grade
means "as a result" in sixth, and the bare nouns in first grade are all
laden with embedded clauses saturated with appraisal and evaluation in
sixth. Above all, the world of material processes now has a sky of mental
processes hovering overhead.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University