[Xmca-l] Re: Trump's speech and Perezhivanie

Susan Davis s.davis@cqu.edu.au
Sun Jan 22 15:47:17 PST 2017

Thank you Alfredo for summarising some of the discussion and
propositions thus far about Trump¹s speech & rise and perezhivanie!

In relation to the lived experience of those who may be
Trump supporters or from the areas that voted for him, here is an
interesting
article I read this morning that might be worth adding to the list of
materials. https://nyti.ms/2kdeQlg

And also another page of protest
signs:http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/01/21/the_best_protest_sign
s_from_the_women_s_march_on_washington.html?

As for various ways to research and respond going forward,could I add a
few more thoughts about this.

any people are living through experiences and are feeling
emotions very deeply, they are also expressing ideas that may be deeply
held
and felt. The phenomenon we are watching and experiencing is individual and
personal, but it is also highly collective, participatory and mediated. I
think
the phenomenon of various social media and global communications means
there is
interesting work to be done in exploring Œcollective¹ and Œcultural¹
perezhivanie.

Experience is being documented through artefacts and shared
within local and global communities with Œmeanings¹ are being made and
re-made
as we speak (e.g. Trump and his media spokesperson¹s Œtruth¹ of the numbers
attending the inauguration).  Over time
there are usually certain cultural narratives that may achieve a kind of
Œstability¹ in the greater scheme of things (while acknowledging these are
often contested and incomplete, you can still generally identify such
narratives when you look back at Œkey incidents¹ and times in history).

Some of us, most notably Andy have found that in considering
the notion of perezhivanie that it has also been helpful to draw upon
Dewey¹s
work of having Œan experience¹.  This
also draws attention to the notion of struggle, reflection, consummation,
completion and transformation through form (in Dewey¹s Art as experience ­
this
was expressed then through various art forms).

So how can we work with this? Cultural-historical
discussions around perezhivanie
highlight that this concept is not just having an Œemotional experience¹,
but
is also a unit of analysis which takes into account subjective and
environmental
factors  (Œconstitutional
characteristics¹ and the Œsocial situation of development¹) that
contribute to
meaning making and learning. There is also recognition of the
interrelation of
affective and cognitive domains, and the re-living of experience (and
remaking
through art and expressive forms) and relationship to meaning making Š

So what could be analysed might include individual and
collective units of Œexperience¹, the various factors and the various means
(tools, processes, signs) that are using to mediate and then meaning make
around those experiences. In the longer term it may be worth tracking that
meaning making and sense of significance or not that emerges, both in the
dominant narratives (e.g. via various news sources online), but also for
people
in smaller groups (communities) and at the individual level. It could be
that
people investigate their own perezhivanie, or those of groups and
collectives including
the online communities.

What  sense people make of these and what action is taken from here is
going to be worth watching, documenting and analysing. The strength of
these
experiences (e.g. the Œhigh¹ of being part of a collective taking to the
streets) may be significant but fleeting, and still to be processed and
revisited in order to determine
if there are implications for future action. Does the experience mean
enough
for people to do something else next ­ that is an interesting question. and
communications, the re-living and re-storying that is and will occur, the
various media and tools that have been generated and how they are being
interpreted and re-mediated etc etcŠ there is certainly a lot of scope for
individual and shared endeavours I would think!

Kind regards
Sue

On 22/01/2017 5:40 pm, "xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu on behalf of
Alfredo Jornet Gil" <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu on behalf of