[Xmca-l] Re: The Learning Sciences in the era of U.S. Nationalism

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 14:55:44 PST 2017

Mike,
I remember watching  documentary narratives that capture the mobility of workers who arrive in Europe from homelands for employment, but every year return home to places where they continue to gather around fires to share memories. I was struck by the power of this need.
Their way of not forgetting.
This nécessity of memory and not forgetting is a powerful force.
Making this need for memory explicit seems deeply relevant and generative.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: mike cole
Sent: January 22, 2017 2:07 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Cc: Mariane Hedegaard; Reijo Miettinen; Seth Chaiklin
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: The Learning Sciences in the era of U.S. Nationalism

Larry -

Your noticings about the deletion of the past and a rhetoric of looking to
the future is echoed in this review of a Chinese historian writing about
the cultural revolution. David K will doubtless be able to provide a more
informed account, but "the struggle of memory over forgetting" seems
evident here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/world/asia/china-historian-yang-jisheng-book-mao.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fbooks&action=click&contentCollection=books&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

mike