[Xmca-l] Re: Trump's speech and Perezhivanie

Peg Griffin Peg.Griffin@att.net
Sun Jan 22 08:27:28 PST 2017

Sorry, Greg, I can't help with treating that "speech in a CHAT kind of way."  But I'll read with interest what develops.
>From my perspective, there's a whole (and some holes?) that would need to be considered.  Sometime, I'd like to think with this group about "intersectionality vs. unity" which a lot of folks around the WMW have been grappling with.  Right now there is too much grunt work to do to get into either of those properly.
MEANWHILE,  a warning!
		Periods have been conscripted for duty in the WTWS (“Whatever T-rump Wants Service,” not clear yet if it is openly and officially one of the armed services).  Here's an example:
		“Despite the lack of numbers he cited, Spicer went on to assert 'this was the largest audience to ever witness the inauguration period both in person and around the globe.'"
		http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sean-spicer-media-coverage-inauguration-crowd/
		CBS has partially acceded to the new way. Typical of the unfair media they still use the punctuation mark version.  It used to be used at the ends of sentences and abbreviations.  That's too complicated; a space or a new line is enough and will cut down on costs at the Government Printing Office.   Saving billions. Many people have been asking for this for a long time but they have been ignored.
(Well, there should have been a pre-warning:  I find myself fondly revisiting the Yippies of yore, especially the Pie Man, but of course cannot really do that work very well.)
Peg
-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Greg Thompson
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2017 2:22 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Cc: Alfredo Jornet Gil
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Trump's speech and Perezhivanie

Loving everything I'm seeing on facebook about the marches today around the country and around the world. Really inspiring stuff, particularly after what happened yesterday. And yes, there is a feeling, a mood here that gives me great hope. (and thanks Peg for the sign slogan, I posted it to my fb page).

But back to the nasty business that Alfredo proposed we deal with, here is a description of some of Mr. Trump's words:
"Mr. Trump on Friday described the nation as a landscape of “rusted-out factories scattered like tombstones” and inner cities infested with crime, gangs and drugs."
I wonder, for whom might this resonate?

Similarly, who would accept the premise of this statement:
"The American carnage stops right here and stops right now,"
I fear that this is striking a nerve with many people's perezhivanie abuilding over the past 10 years or so (I'm still a little unsure of how best to use perezhivanie, help please). Anyway, I'm still wondering about the circumstances and experiences of Trump sympathizers. Some of you out there must have some first-hand contact with such folks.

But perhaps this is getting too far afield from CHAT since it seems like it starts to get into an area of communication theory called Media Ecology - the media environments of people in various places (The problem of the
(media) environment?).

Alfredo, Peg, Helena, Andy, maybe you guys can give us some advice about how to go about treating Trump's speech in a CHAT kind of way? How to proceed with this endeavor?

-greg