[Xmca-l] Re: Fate of a Man (from Misha)

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 18 18:02:20 PST 2017

It was extremely interesting to read Misha's interpretation of Fate of a
Man. It provides evidence against my speculation that it might have been
interpreted as Destiny of Mankind. If I understand correctly, Misha is
saying that the perezhivanie of entire populations is reflected in the
individual consciousness of the character.  And the film, combining
multiple media and a strong, patriotic narrative, creates perezhivanie in
the viewer.

I did not, personally, experience perezhivanie, while watching the film, at
least not perezhivanie of the sort that Misha is referring to. My
orientation toward viewing it, and my own cultural-historical background
interfered. I was viewing it through the lens of our discussion and my
acute awareness of the elisions and misrepresentations of these events in
historical time. This lens got in the way.

Misha's note is a good reminder of the difficulties of interpretation that
we all face in dealing with this topic! At the same time, there was no
missing different forms that correspond to different "kinds" or
"conceptions of kinds" of perezhivanie in the film.
mike