[Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:00:33 PST 2017

David addressing Alfredo.

A wonderful metaphor and nod to Alfredo helping us move from small prey to a substantial prey worth pursuing.

David, you describe the process of development as moving through the stage of adapting the environment to human needs. (a possible perezhivanie relation?).

However, is it possible we are now developing beyond this notion of adapting the environment FOR human needs and becoming aware of the vice versa movement. The movement of adapting human needs to environmental needs. Still within conscious awareness requiring our focused (and possibly also unfocused) attention but less human centric, more focused upon the ‘relation’ honouring and possibly experiencing as ‘sacred’ the ‘relation’ and through the ‘relation’ experiencing the  environmental ‘element’ of perizhivanie as living vitality. This focus on the ‘relation’ shifting focus away from  human needs or environmental needs as either/or as ‘things’ that exist outside of each other that must be ‘connected’.
There is no actual separation except imaginally and this is the ‘heart’ of the matter. The place of not only compassion as such but the heart as the place of CARE AND CONCERN. More active than compassion but not human centric only. CARE AND CONCERN for the ‘relation’ whether imagined as subject, object, subject&object, or the relation existing prior to this subject/object differentiation.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: David Kellogg
Sent: January 16, 2017 2:56 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

Alfredo:

Well, I think that you are doing the really difficult and beautiful work,
filling in Mike's ten league boots and keeping the cats in a coherent herd.
Contrary to the popular expression, though, it is possible to herd cats.
Lions, for example, herd themselves, apparently because the prey they
consume is too large to consume individually before it goes bad, and if
they work in a pride, they don't have to work every day. House cats, on the
other hand, feed on small prey in individual portions and so they are
notoriously selfish and competitive. It seems to me that with the
"perezhivanie" symposium, we have at last begun to hunt lion-sized prey.
Perhaps I am still doing mousework, though:  I think we actually disagree
more than we agree.

Unlike Andy, I am very willing to embrace both the label "structuralist"
and the label "functionalist", so long as I can embrace them together, and
add the label developmentalist: structures are as they are because they
function as they do, but sometimes they function as they do for historical,
developmental reasons rather than obvious and immediate ones. In the second
chapter of HDHMF, Vygotsky invokes what he calls the "Jennings" principle:
that is, that functions are always "functions of structure": organisms do
what they are allowed to do by their organic structure and no more. For
example, cats cannot herd themselves because their prey is too small. But
he points out that a) organic structure is itself a product of doing things
over thousands and millions of years, b) structures can be "borrowed" to do
more than they are adapted for (what S.J. Gould called "exaptation") and c)
none of this applies to "artificial organs", such as tools and signs,
because mediational means are precisely structures "borrowed" from the
environment to do more than they are adapted for. One of these
supra-adaptive functions is to adapt the environment to human needs instead
of vice versa. This by definition cannot be something that a tool or a sign
is adapted for; you don't get tools or signs simply by adapting to the
environment: you only get them by imagining how the environment can be made
different and acting accordingly. Both tools and signs are the product of
some quantum of conscious awareness, and neither is a creation of habit.

And that is why, again quite unlike Andy, I am also happy to embrace the
label of semiotic as opposed to activity theoretic. I think that although
both tools and signs involve an idealization of the environment, they do
not do so equally. Signs, for example, include conscious
attentive idealization of the self as well (the self as part of the
environment, as part of perizhivanie--as Vygotsky points out, what endures
from the crisis at seven is the "self" in self-esteem and the "self" in
"self respect", not the self of posing, mannerism and acting out). The flaw
in Greimas is that he is uninterested this functional, this developmental
aspect of structural semantics, and it is precisely this that allows us to
distinguish, at three, between the child who is interested in changing the
chess board as environment by playing with the pieces and the child who is
interested in changing the semiotic structure of the board by playing the
game, and to distinguish, at seven, between the child who is disappointed
with the inferior affordances for constructing himself as a first person
shooter that a chess board offers and the child who is excited by the
superior affordances for constructing himself as a future grand master. .

I was very interested in what you said about attention versus perception.
They are developmentally linked, in Vygotsky, but functionally and thus
structurally quite distinct. Volitional attention is so much a part of
adult life we sometimes have to work at nonvolitional attention (!). But
volitional perception occurs only in rare circumstances, e.g. the Edgar
Rubin vases, Necker's cube, etc. I find myself straining to see every
passing mouse as a zebra.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University
 .