[Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 11:09:05 PST 2017

Marc,
Thank you for this thoughtful synthesis of the way to navigate through this emerging theme. As i read (and listened) i also was wondering whether you were going to reference Beth’s and Monica’s contribution to this month’s special journal?
I just now went back and re-read their opening paragraph that captured my imagination with their answer (and my listening) to this emerging theme.

Their paper opens with Jay Lemke’s question :
How do ‘moments’ add up to ‘lives’?

Their next move is to bring in Lilly Briscoe to speak from within Virginia Woolf’s book (To the Lighthouse).

Lilly asks the question :
What is the meaning of life?

So ... Within my listening to these questions from various speakers to WHOM am I listening.
Are the speakers real or fictional?
AND
Does the answer matter to my listening if they are real or fictional?

Lilly Briscoe does give an answer to the question :
What is the meaning of Life?
Listen :
The GREAT revelation had never come. The great revelation perhaps never did come. Instead there were little daily miracles, illuminations, matches struck UNEXPECTEDLY in the dark; ... THIS, THAT, AND THE OTHER.

What is the meaning of life? Lilly gives her answer. Meaning is trying to make of the ‘moment’ something PERmanent.

Beth and Monica then say (and i hear) that perezhivanie is a concept that addresses Lemke’s question and Woolf’s response. I would ADD and my listening.

Not sure if this fits function or structure or is a fusion? It however opens a place to explore WHO is real, fantasy, and imaginal and if the demarcations matter to my ‘listening’ to the characters  expressing  perezhivanie/experience.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone