[Xmca-l] Re: Fate of a Man

Christopher Schuck schuckcschuck@gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 12:43:39 PST 2017

But that's both the limitation and strength of art or fictional narrative
as opposed to real life, isn't it? That art focuses our attention and
highlights certain features in a way that is idealized and artificially
"designed" to convey something more clearly and purely (but less
organically and authentically) than it would be conveyed in the course of
living it, or observing someone else living it? One way to get around this
would be, as David says, to analyze the film in terms of clues as to the
stages of emergence. But maybe another way to use the film would be to view
it not so much as a complete, self-sufficient "example" of perezhivanie, as
a *tool *for pivoting back and forth between the concept of perezhivanie as
imaginatively constructed (through fiction), and the concept of
perezhivanie as imaginatively constructed (through our real living
experience and observation of it). So, it would be the *pivoting* between
these two manifestations of the concept (designed vs. evolved, as David put
it) that reveals new insights about perezhivanie, rather than understanding
the concept from the film per se.