[Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 07:32:33 PST 2017

Andy, Alfredo, i do not have access to the other papers in this months journal exploring perezhivanie.
However, i do have access to alfredo’s and Roth’s paper (toward a theory of experience) and this paper may add some clarity to perezhivanie as contemplation, perezhivanie as struggle, and m-perezhivanie.
Turning to page 119 of Alfredo’s article, Alfredo and Roth write :

As Dewey, cultural historical psychologists emphasize that activity cannot be reduced to volitional processes and volitional experiences.

Now turning to Dewey to elaborate this point further, i will quote the paragraph composed by Alfredo and Roth on page 119 that captures this truth :

Having ‘an’ experience – one that is ‘integrated and demarcated in the general stream of experience from other experiences (Dewey, 1934) as opposed to mere automatic reflexes of no significant contribution to further development – involves a ‘balance’ a ‘proportion’ of DOING AND UNDERGOING : ‘Unbalance on either side blurs the perception of relations and leaves the experience partial and distorted.’ (Dewey, p 51). Lust for completion ( an excess of agency) results in an experience ‘so dispersed and miscellaneous as hardly to deserve the name’. (p 51). An excess of receptivity  leads to an equally distorted experience ‘because nothing takes root in mind when there is no balance between doing and receiving’. (p 51-52). Reception MEANS that we are given a gift; and gifts, as recent phenomenological analyses show lie beyond our intentions. (Marion, 1997). In this dialectic between doing and receiving, agency and reception, are set IN CONSTITUTIVE MOTION.

I find this paragraph focusing on Dewey  introducing a truth that can be perceived  and i believe  may add to clarifying perezhivanie as contemplative, perezhivanie as enduring struggle, and m-perezhivanie.
As Vygotsky emphasized - the passions -what we are subject and subjected to, including suffering and pain, are an integral and IRREDUCIBLE part of perezhivanie ‘generally’.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone