[Xmca-l] perezhivanie

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Jan 9 16:05:04 PST 2017

Marc, throughout the Special Issue we spelt /perezhivanie/
the same say and put it in italics, indicating a Russian
word transliterated into English, and systematically had
authors delete "experiencing" and "lived experience" from
their articles and even quotations, as part of an effort to
create a common meaning for the word. Summing up your
position, in the Response, you said:

        In my reading (and I apologize in advance for any
        misinterpretations), the different papers in this
        special issue have basically noted four different
        phenomena that are sometimes referred to as
        /perezhivanie/. They might be considered four
        different meanings of the word. To distinguish
        between these meanings of /perezhivanie/, I will
        give them four different tentative names:
        experiencing-as-contemplation;
        experiencing-as-struggle; fantasy-based
        experiencing-as-struggle; and m-/perezhivanie/.

What is your recommendation for future writers? Should they
choose one of these four terms? Or use /perezhivanie/ and
qualify, or rely on context to specify meaning?

Andy