[Xmca-l] Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Mon Jan 2 00:12:25 PST 2017

Dear all,

I would like to join David, Luisa, Ana, Henry and the others to wish you all a Happy New Year! May it be full of joy, peace, and opportunity.

I also would like to begin the year announcing our first ?MCA article discussion, ?although in fact corresponds to the last issue of the year we just passed, Issue 4 on Perezhivanie. This is a very special *special* issue, not only because its topic has raised lots of interest lately in the CHAT community but also because, greatly coordinated by Andy Blunden and the rest of the editorial team, the issue takes the form of a symposium where authors get the chance to present and respond to each others' ideas on the subject. In my view, this allows having a rich and multidimensional approach to a subject as important as perezhivanie.

Following with the dialogical spirit in which the special issue was assembled, we will focus on one lead article, but hoping to also engage ideas and insights present in or relevant to other contributions in the issue. ?Marc Clarà's "Vygotsky and Vasilyuk on Perezhivanie: Two Notions and One Word" will be our focus. The article very nicely engages the lead work of Vygotsky, but also the less known ??(?in educational literature) but totally relevant works of psychologist ?F. Vasilyuk and semiotician A. J. Greimas, mobilising a number of key concepts including those of semiotic mediation and transformation.

?In addition to Marc, who will soon join us, I have encouraged some of the other authors in the special issue to also join as "relevant others," if time and circumstances allow them. Let's hope that this will help keeping the symposium spirit up.

Marc's article is attached to this e-mail and will be made open access at the T&F pages as soon as people is back from the holidays. The T&F link is this: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10749039.2016.1186194

The link to the MCA Forum pages, where we announce our discussions and other xmca things, is here: http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/

I wish us all a very productive and interesting discussion.

Alfredo