[Xmca-l] Re: fact and fake

Helena Worthen helenaworthen@gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 12:38:52 PST 2017

Berkeley Repertory Theater did a very good production of “It Can’t Happen Here” last season (November). There apparently was an original adaptation by Sinclair Lewis himself, done in 1936 with a co-author John Moffitt. The people at Berkeley Rep (Tony Taccone, specifically, Artistic Director) didn’t think it was good enough so they did a new one, working very fast (this is info from progam notes), one day ahead of rehearsals. The result was really quite good. One of the nice twists is that at the end of the play, the one-time liberal newspaper editor, Jessup, who has made it across the border into Canada, slips back into the US and disappears into what is foreshadowed to be a large underground resistance. But theater is a slow form of art (the Broadway blockbuster “Hamilton” got its first hint of public visibility in 2009, when a set of rap poems about Alexander Hamilton were performed at the White House by playwright Lin-Manuel Miranda) and plays to an audience that can afford $50-$100 tickets.

Helena Worthen
helenaworthen@gmail.com
Berkeley, CA 94707
Blog about US and Viet Nam: helenaworthen.wordpress.com

>>> http://www.brill.com/products/book/origins-collective-decision-makin