[Xmca-l] Re: identity expressed or formed by action?

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 10:00:19 PST 2017

Michael,
On page 2 of your article on difference at ‘heart’ you say :

CULTURE always is other than itself and therefore IN A STRONG SENSE is NOT...
‘community’ and ‘identity’ AS .... Different from themselves.

This relates to the thread on performance studies.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Wolff-Michael Roth
Sent: February 15, 2017 7:20 AM
To: Andy Blunden; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: identity expressed or formed by action?

Andy, I don't think that there is a drive to identity. I think this view is
typical of a constructivist mentalist approach. In my view, Marx was closer
to the point, and therefore Vygotsky and Leont'ev who use the category of
personality rather than identity. Marx/Engels say something pertinent in
the German Ideology:

|p. 5| This mode of production must not be considered simply as being the
reproduction of the physical existence of the individuals. Rather it is a
definite form of activity of these individuals, a definite form of
expressing their life, a definite mode of life on their part. *As*
individuals express their life, so they are. What they are, therefore,
coincides with their production, both with what they produce and
― 32 ―
*with how they produce*. *Hence what individuals are depends on the
material conditions of their production*.
(This is from vol. 5 of the International Publishers edition)

Michael

Wolff-Michael Roth, Lansdowne Professor
Applied Cognitive Science
MacLaurin Building A567
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, V8P 5C2
http://web.uvic.ca/~mroth <http://education2.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/>

New book: *The Mathematics of Mathematics
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/new-directions-in-mathematics-and-science-education/the-mathematics-of-mathematics/>*