[Xmca-l] Re: identity expressed or formed by action?

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Wed Feb 15 07:13:30 PST 2017

Hi Martin,

My reading of Erikson is that the drive for identity is epiphenomenal to our other more basic, instinctual drives (Freudian in nature).  So we are not born with the drive for identity, but it is something that necessarily emerges in all of us.  How we then deal with fulfilling this drive is highly contextual and social.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Martin John Packer
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:59 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: identity expressed or formed by action?

Andy,

If “innate” means present at birth, I think the majority of developmental scientists would say that there are no indications that an infant has either an identity, or a drive to express one. The classic texts on the psychology of identity (not that you have to read them!) were those written by Erik Erikson, for whom identity is constructed, and the construction occurs - or at least begins - in adolescence.

Martin