[Xmca-l] Re: identity expressed or formed by action?

Stephen Walsh stephenwals@gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 02:36:45 PST 2017

Hi Andy,
I think that the answer is both.  I think we need to think of identities as
heterogeneous rather than homogeneous.  Looking at identity (dis)continuity
following brain injury is instructive. Research we have conducted with
brain injury survivors taking part in post acute community
neurorehabilitiation shows that identities deriving from the groups we
belong to (affiliative identities; e.g. familiy) generate social support
which facilitates the formation of 'self as doer' identities (e.g. painter,
walker etc etc).
Best Regards,
Stephen