[Xmca-l] Re: Perezhivanie and Organic

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:01:20 PST 2017

The Russian word that Vygotsky uses for "organic" is the same as the word
we use, and I assume that the same thing is true of the word that
Stanislavsky used. It is "organic" transliterated into Cyrillic, rather
than translated into Russian.

What really makes this problem new-thread-worthy is that the meaning of the
word "organic" at the end of the nineteenth century is not the same as the
word meaning that we use in several important ways.

Take, for example, the crudest possible way: semantic prosody, or the "good
vibes" of some words (e.g. "organic food") vs. the "bad vibes" of others
(e.g. "artificial flavor"). The nineteenth century began with a romantic
movement towards nature and towards holism ("Gestaltism"), against dogmatic
rationalism and atomism. So "organicism" had a semantic prosody that
involved not only naturalism (which it still does) but also a form of
proto-structuralism. Organic structure involved a complex whole with parts
that are interdependent like organs and not independent like ball bearings.

Today, this semantic prosody falls on deaf ears. If anything, it's the
other way around: we know all about cells, and we know that they are
independant and dispensible in large numbers (you slough off millions every
day). But mechanical parts are precisely engineered to fit each other, and
for the want of one, the whole machine comes to a grinding halt.

Nevertheless, we can still see this older meaning of organicism in
Toennies' distinction between Gemeinschaft (community, mechanical
solidarity) and Gesellschaft (society,organic solidarity) and also in the
work of Bernsetin (workers have a mechanical solidarity based on likeness
while middle class people have organic solidarity based on mutual
instrumentality).

(Of course, there's the same problem. Even working class families have an
organic solidarity, while it is sometimes hard to believe that white collar
office workers sitting at computers in cubicles are anything bt
mechanical....)

David Kellogg
Macquarie University