[Xmca-l] Re: Perezhivanie of perezhivanie (Ilyenkov)

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Fri Dec 22 16:37:29 PST 2017

I know this takes it a bit away from the article for discussion, but the notion of the "ideal" that Michael brings up below—which I understand is consistent with Ilyenkov's descriptions in Dialectics of the Ideal—is interesting. Recently, Ilyenkov has been brought up in the list to critique semiotic takes in CHAT, but Michael now uses the term "synecdochical function", where a thing participating in a relation "stands for" the relation as a whole. And so, a question comes up, is this not a semiotic relation, the relation between a sign and the thing it stands for? And how is Ilyenkov's (and the Marx Ilyenkov talks about) different from the semiotic notions that Sasha and others dislike?

Ilyenkov notes that although the "meaning" of the words Marx uses when describing "value" as "ideal" is the same the meaning philosophers like Plato or Hegel before him used, the "concept" (which Ilyenkov clarifies is "the ways of understanding this meaning") that Marx proposes is different. The difference is that ideal, or in the specific case of economy, "value," is not the material thing as it appears in the mind, but rather a completely objective relation that exists between two things and that is expressed in that material thing. As such, the ideals not the result of a conscious mind that subjectively projects it, but exists objectively and is established outside consciousness:

"According to Marx, of course, the ideality of the value-form consists not in
the fact that this form represents a mental phenomenon existing only in the
brain of the commodity-owner or theoretician, but in the fact that in this case,
as in many others, the corporeally palpable form of the thing (for example, a
coat) is only a form of expression of quite a different ‘thing’ (linen, as a value)
with which it has nothing in common. The value of the linen is represented,
expressed, ‘embodied’ in the form of a coat, and the form of the coat is the ‘ideal
or represented form’ of the value of the linen.

This is a completely objective relationship (as it is entirely independent of the
commodity-owner’s consciousness and will, established outside his consciousness),
within which the natural form of commodity B becomes the value-form of
commodity A, or the body of commodity B acts as a mirror to the value of commodity
A, the authorised representative of its ‘value’ nature, of the ‘substance’
which is ‘embodied’ both here and there" (Ilyenkov, 2012, Dialectics of the Ideal, p. 57)

What is "represented" as a thing then is "a form of human activity, a form of life-activity that [people] perform together, developing quite spontaneously, 'out of the sight of consciousness', and materially established in the form of the relationship between things" (p. 58).

When I was reading and commenting on James Ma's notes recently, I was perhaps attributing (or rather suspicious that I might have reasons to attribute) to him the kind of ideality that Ilyenkov critiques (the one that is ideal because it's in the mind rather than in the relation between things and part of people's relations). But James defended his position appealing precisely to dialectical materialism; in the same way that Sasha (and others) might see in Vygotsky's a notion of sign as involving "randomness" (semiotics as conventionalism), only to lead David K. to argue that "Vygotsky does not accept conventionality as a pervasive principle in language" (cited from many posts ago). But what Ilyenkov suggests to me is that there is a way to move forward without having to reject one (semiotics) to achieve the other (dialectical materialist psychology). Rather, the "concept" of sign, or semiotics, needs to be clarified in proper materialist terms. Whether doing so means "transcending" (because he had not) or "translating" (because he already had) Vygotsky, is of course debatable, but does not appear as relevant as to actually pursue that path. As Huw also suggested, I read Michael's piece as moving in that direction.
And this seems long enough for a Dec 23rd post,
Alfredo