[Xmca-l] Re: Perezhivanie of perezhivanie

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 16:43:44 PST 2017

Mike--

The "rudimentary mental life" that is largely affective and based in the
midbrain is the (transitional) central neoformation of birth, and it lives
on as the affect in affective perception. One of the rare moments he finds
himself in agreement with Stern:

"W. Stern assumes that in the newborn, together with reflexes, there must
be the first traces of consciousness that develop very soon into an
impressive and many sided mental life. Of course, we can speak only of the
rudimentary state of mental life of the newborn from which we must exclude
all strictly intellectual and volitional phenomena of consciousness. There
are neither innate ideas nor actual perceptions, that is, comprehension of
external objects and processes as such, nor, finally, conscious desire or
striving. The only thing that we can assume on a sure basis is an
indistinct, unclear state of consciousness in which sensible and emotional
parts are still inseparably merged, so that we may call them the sensible,
emotional states or emotionally stressed states or sensations. The presence
of pleasant and unpleasant emotionalstates i evident from the childr's
general appearance, expression of the face, or character of the cry as in
the first days of his life. (English Volume Five, p. 212). "

The whole of 211-215 is Vygotsky's argument that what exists at birth is
consciousness, though (because a critical neoformation) not conciousness as
we know it. One of his arguments (pedology of the adolescent, and also
lectures on pedology) against recapitulationism is that consciousness
emerges at the beginning of the story and sexual reproduction at the end,
while in phylogeny it's pretty much the other way around.

I don't think that Vygotsky's earlier formulation--"the perezhivanie of
perezhivanie"--is incorrect: if we are talking loosely about the "meaning
of meaning" then it fits your bus ride example almost perfectly. You can
mystify absolutely anything if you just take context away from a text, but
if we are going to take meaning seriously, we have to take context
seriously. For example, when Wolff-Michael says that Vygotsky rejected
both "scientific" and "interpretive" psychology, he doesn't mention the
context, which is "History of the Crisis in Psychology". Vygotsky's talking
about reflexology on the one hand and Dilthey's "interpretive" psychology
on the other. It's not about "quantitative" and "qualitative" research at
all.

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full