[Xmca-l] Re: Neoformation and developmental change: Issue 4 article for discussion

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 18:48:23 PST 2017

Take a look at this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Socrates#/media/File:David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg

"The Death of Socrates" is a painting that practically invented
neo-classicism, and you can see why. It's got everything that Plato's
"Phaedo" has and most of "Crito" besides, put in a visual form that anybody
can take in at a glance (like the "arrow" formed by the line of sun on the
wall and the line of Socrates's leg with the line of heads hoving over the
floor, seemingly pointing to the Exit...). It's concrete (like the drawing
on paper that Wolff-Michael is talking about)--it's real paint and canvas
and if you are in New York you can go and see it at the Met. But it's also
highly abstract--Crito is fondling Socrates's leg for a good reason: he is
making the distinction between a necessary cause, i.e. Socrates's leg
muscles, whose activation is what brought Socrates to prison and whose
non-activation is what will keep him there until he dies of the hemlock)
and a sufficient one (both Socrates's supporters and his detractors wish
him to be an example to others, and that is why Socrates himself chooses to
die, in order to show that when you live in a city you must abide by its
judgements, even when they are unjust and wrong).

The problem with neo-classsicism is that it is very bad at explaining
emotion. You can see that the executioner is the one who is most
overwrought, and Plato, who sits, anachronistically, at the foot of the
(ahistorical) bed with his (ahistorical) gray head bowed is the least. What
Socrates is SUPPOSED to be conveying here is really not the distinction
between necessary cause and sufficient cause, but the foolishness of
fearing death, because according to him death is the beginning of a whole
new form of development, much realer and much less abstract than earthly
life because a more direct form of communion with the Platonic ideal.

Death is the moment when a participant in our historico-cultural community
ceases inner speech and oral speech and must continue participating in
written speech only, but since, as Wolff-Michael correctly says, thought is
not simply an attribute of people but more properly of speech communities,
this is part is true enough. But when I made a remark along these lines to
Mike (I think it was when Ruqaiya Hasan died) he said, quite rightly, that
this ignores the emotion of those suddenly abandoned. That's why, when Vera
dies, the testimony of people like Annalisa and Henry, who knew her well,
is so important and worth reading (yea, even at great length). It's the
part that neo-classicism ignores; the part that this painting cannot convey.

There is another part of the story that Socrates himself is ignoring,
though. After death, there is a qualitative change in
development--development is not for myself or for Ruqaiya or for Vera or
for Socrates. It is like the moment when children beget other children, and
"development" must, for perfectly good biological as well as
sociohistorical and ontogenetic reasons, cease. Phillip Larkin puts it like
this:

Groping back to bed after a piss
I part thick curtains, and am startled by
The rapid clouds, the moon’s cleanliness.

Four o’clock: wedge-shadowed gardens lie
Under a cavernous, a wind-picked sky.
There’s something laughable about this,

The way the moon dashes through clouds that blow
Loosely as cannon-smoke to stand apart
(Stone-coloured light sharpening the roofs below)

High and preposterous and separate—
Lozenge of love! Medallion of art!
O wolves of memory! Immensements! No,

One shivers slightly, looking up there.
The hardness and the brightness and the plain
Far-reaching singleness of that wide stare

Is a reminder of the strength and pain
Of being young; that it can’t come again,
But is for others undiminished somewhere.

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full