[Xmca-l] Re: Vera John-Steiner has passed away

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 20:08:11 PST 2017

The first I knew of Vera, back in the seventies, she was the mother of my
best friend in college. We both had these somewhat famous parents, but,
being  callow youths busy with greater things, neither of us had really
bothered to look into our little legacies.

When my old friend spoke of her as "a Vygotsky person" and I found out this
Vygotsky person was a pioneering literacy linguist to boot, I decided I was
going to look into it for him. Unfortunately, I only met her briefly on her
book tours, so I was really flattered when Rob Lake asked me to contribute
to her Festschrift.

We heard from her just a few weeks ago, so I know she left us with her eyes
open and her mind lucid. I also know she left something really important
with her son; I'd like to think that she also left something important to
me.

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full