[Xmca-l] Re: Fw: Re: Vygotsky,Marx, & summer reading

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sat Aug 26 19:07:34 PDT 2017

Haydi, since this list has discussed the difference between
'moments' and 'parts' before, I will beg the patience of the
list by pointing to this passage in Hegel's Philosophy of
Right which we are reading in our reading group today:
https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/pr/prstate1.htm#PR278

Hegel is talking about states and organisms at the same time
here. An organism is called an "organism" because it is made
up of organs (which are moments) not parts. The point is
that none of the organs (or moments) can live other than as
parts of the whole, and vice versa. The interesting thing to
me is that he contrasts the modern state (which is an
organism, and whose various organs are 'moments') with the
medieval state in which the monarch collected taxes and made
war with other monarchs, while civil society was run by
corporations and guilds, and the whole state was simply an
"aggregate" of these "parts" not an organic whole, not yet
conforming to the concept of a state. So the relation
between a part and a moment is that parts can become moments
through the development of an aggregate into an integral whole.

Hope this is of interest.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy