[Xmca-l] Re: Fw: Re: Vygotsky,Marx, & summer reading

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Aug 22 07:52:29 PDT 2017

Haydi, you know that is far too many questions at once for
me. But I will try some quick-fire answers and see how far I
can get.

'Moment' has a special meaning in Hegel, not unrelated to
its mathematical meaning: each moment is the whole, but at a
different level of generality.
'Part' and 'component' are not really scienific words, but I
would say that 'components' are implicitly mutually
exclusive parts that add up to the whole, whereas 'part' has
not such connotation, but could be overlapping, but in "the
sum of the parts etc ..." parts means components.

Don't really know what you mean by "realm".

Are we talking Hegelian categories here? "Determinate Being"
(Dasein) is part of Being, whereas Actuality is part of
Reflection.

"Who affirms?" Don't see how "who comes in here.

"Whole" is a relative term, so yes, we can hierachies of wholes.

"How do we determine thought from action?" We have to figure
out what is mediating between actions, so as to make sense
of actions.

Lenin was fully aware of the different senses in which Hegel
and Marx used the term "Being" and Lenin generally followed
Marx in his usage.

I think "Being is Nothing" is Hegel's idea, though he is
recapitulating early Greek thought. SPinoza did not see it
that way.

I follow Lenin for a definition of "Matter" - "a
philosophical category denoting everything that exists
outside of consciousness."

But yes, it is a Substance.

... time for me to go to bed.

Andy