[Xmca-l] Re: Wertsch is focusing on the concept of *settings* and I wonder if the notion of *human worlds* is considered equivalent to this notion of *settings* ?

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Mon Aug 21 13:45:34 PDT 2017

Thanks for adding Bertau (who I discover now) and Linell. This begins to sound like polyphony!
Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Richard Beach <rbeach@umn.edu>
Sent: 21 August 2017 22:07
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Wertsch is focusing on the concept of *settings* and I wonder if the notion of *human worlds* is considered equivalent to this notion of *settings* ?

Related to Andy’s discussion of “settings” as a unit of analysis, based on her work on use of language as a Medium for constituting “in-between” meanings, Bertau (2014) posits use of “situations” and “traditions”:
Thus, the two basic aspects of communication are “situations” and “traditions.” The link between situations (1) and traditions (2) is given by the fact that participants in (1) contribute over time to the sustaining/changing of the long-term practices of (2). A simple chaining in time? Not for Linell, whose dialogical stance allows him to go right beyond a pure sequential-temporal chaining of (1)-(2)-(1)- (2) that would amount to a simple accumulation in time. Rather, for Linell, there is dialogue between (1) and (2). This is grasped by the very term of double dialogicality: the fact that participants “engage in both situated interaction and sociocultural praxis” (2009, p. 52). So, by their actual language activity, subjects both engage and perform a situated, unique verbal interaction and enact the sociocultural praxis the verbal forms they perform belong to (e.g., they perform the conversation belonging to a first date in a restaurant, to a family dinner, to an academic reception).

But what is really interesting is that this dialogical link makes (2), the tradition, perceivable : “Double dialogicality makes us see an … utterance both in its singularity and in its wider sociocultural and historical belongingness” (Linell, 2009, p. 53). There are interdependencies between (1) and (2), interactions (= 1) have situation-transcending aspects (= 2). The examples Linell gives are the case of a speaker who refers to his own words in other occasions, the case of a speaker who breaks out of the current genre (giving a lecture) and shifts into another one (narrating a personal anecdote): dialogues with own, past utterances, and dialogues with framings of genres. That kind of referencing and indexing leads to Linell’s term of “recontextualization,” addressing the traveling of utterances through texts and contexts.

Linell (2009, pp. 248–249) distinguishes three types of recontextualizations, operating on different time scales, where the first two types correspond to the token level, the third type to the type level: (a) within the same conversation (participants make use of the same expressions several times), (b) to other texts or discourses (re-using or alluding to elements of other specific discourses/texts), and (c) borrowing/importing of other genres or discourse orders or routines. So, we can see these types of recontextualizations as possibilities of indexing (2), the tradition, in (1), the interaction.

The following brief analysis is now possible. According to our temporal being-ness, we experience the situation, the actual interaction (= 1) now . And we also experience the tradition of practices (= 2) now : exactly through these strategies of referencing and indexing, of borrowing and importing, quoting ourselves, others, genres, discourses, by performing reprises and variations, re-invoicements and re-listenings according to formats we reiterate countless times in a great (although not unending) diversity of speech and-listening practices. All these language activities call in, and thereby construct, our tradition. We “have” our tradition only in this mode of calling-in, so we experience our tradition again and again by way of performance of language practices, in our forms, or better: our formations according to conventionalized, public patterns—we hear the tradition for instance in certain intonatory and syntactic patterns, in ways of asking a question.

Cases like migration coupled with the forced use of an alien language, or the isolation from one’s speaker community (in prison), but also common bilingualism shows how painful it can be to not “have  a language”: on the contrary, it is obvious that language can disappear, that it can get thinner and lose contact to reality, which is nothing but others’ reality we could share. So, the socio-historically transmitted tradition is a present practice.

Bertau, M-C. (2014). Exploring language as the “in-between.” Theory & Psychology, 24(4), 524 –541.

Linell, P. (2009). Rethinking language, mind, and world dialogically. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishers.

Richard Beach, Professor Emeritus of English Education, University of Minnesota
rbeach@umn.edu
Websites: Digital writing <http://digitalwriting.pbworks.com/>, Media literacy <http://teachingmedialiteracy.pbworks.com/>, Teaching literature <http://teachingliterature.pbworks.com/>, Identity-focused ELA Teaching <http://identities.pbworks.com/>, Common Core State Standards <http://englishccss.pbworks.com/>, Apps for literacy learning <http://usingipads.pbworks.com/>, Teaching about climate change <http://climatechangeela.pbworks.com/>