[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky,Marx, & summer reading

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Aug 20 03:26:05 PDT 2017

David, I was going to let this go, but after dwelling on it
for a while I think I cannot.

You are doing exactly what the various writers who were
endeavouring to reconstruct Vygotsky's tradition in the
1980s did: looking at various instances of unit of analysis
and listing out what you think are the essential features of
this object. This is the approach which Vygotsky criticised
in "The Problem of Age" in which researchers would try to
define a child's environment by listing out the features -
father's occupation, number of siblings, housing conditions,
etc., etc., but (to use Hegel's phrase) missing the concept.

I took a different approach. Somewhat bewildered and
rendered incredulous by these various lists of arbitrary
features of the unit of analysis, I asked myself where it
all came from. Having identified the origins of the idea in
Goethe through Hegel and Marx to Vygotsky, it became
possible to trace the development of the concept from one
writer to the next and see what was essential in the idea
even to the extent of seeing that the great writers who used
it could be mistaken in this or that respect. It was to
avoid this method of comparison of features that the method
of analysis by units was invented.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy