[Xmca-l] Re: An article on the evolution of organizational paradigms you might find interesting

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Aug 19 18:28:45 PDT 2017

Thank you for this paper, Zlato. We have not heard from Paul on this list
for years, but
his work has remained on the horizon. Now you have brought it back to us in
an interesting formulation.

I was struck by the parallels between the way you framed your question and
the question that developmental psychologists (perhaps pedologists,
David?):

 we argue that technology is a powerful factor shaping the evolution of
management models’ contents

a couple of months ago Roy Pea gave a talk at the Piaget society meetings
in which we made a very similar point with respect to the role of culture
in human development. Simplifying brutally, we argued that new technologies
entail changes in social relations that subsequently change the environment
of development for the en-culturating organism. This formulation, we
suggested provided piagetians  to reconcile contradictions between the
biological and the social sides of Piaget.

The similarity of the arguments raises a question for me about principles
of development that appear non-accidently related at different levels of
analysis:
'individual organism, individual organism as constituitive of a social
group, the institutional structure of the organism's environment, the
structure of that proximal society and its relation to the organization of
the species of which it is a part. Does some sort of "orthogenetic
principle" apply across different scales of social processes?

Short of that, what are we to make of the "limited" differences we see in
the dynamics of different levels of the system in relative sychrony,
perhaps a crisis, perhaps an opportunity?

David has been point toward a sociology and linguistics to bring together
various apparently combinable mode of theorizing a CHAT account of
development that generalizes across scales (themselves differentially
mutable from the perspective of a single human organism). This work, and
that part of Yrjo's work focused on organisms seems to be pointing in
similarly directions. If that it correct, it extends the links to the study
of social institutions, a topic currently of general interest in the CHAT
community.

In any events, thanks.

mike